Monday, November 26, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things

I hate Black Friday with the white hot passion of 1000 suns. The camping out, stores open at 5 am, people getting trampled. I don't think there is a piece of technology out there that could make me want to deal with it. Luckily, I live in the Heights. I might have actually enjoyed fighting a little more traffic at our local stores, happy to see them busy. Most of the small retailers I spoke with in the neighborhood were very happy with business this past Friday, which was music to my ears.

I saw a lot of great stuff and made mental notes for my gift giving list. Luckily, I had my camera (and my 15 year old niece) to help me remember what I saw and show you guys a little of what's out there for Holiday gift giving. Call or stop by the shops for pricing and availability, and to find your own favorite things!

One Green Street
3424 White Oak
(281) 888-9518


For the coffee lover, aka my husband, OGS's "One Green Bean" is a double Heights whammy:
 the beans are roasted at Boomtown Coffee on 19th


"One Green Tea" is also made locally by Path of Tea on W Alabama. 
Love this for my sister-in-law with a ceramic tea pot you'll see later.


Keep my pooch happy with stocking stuffers from DJ Bones Dog Bakery. This is our dog's 1st Christmas with us and you can be sure the kids want him to have a full stocking!


Heights photographer Adam Oblath puts his pictures on canvas and then mounts them in to repurposed windows and reclaimed frames. I want this for me. If you know my husband, drop a hint.

1020 Studewood
713-869-NEST


This brand new line from a West Texas maker is geared toward men. Masculine scents for candles and bath products, plus hand crafted leather goods and cutting boards. I love the packaging and think this will be great for my younger brother.


Painted tea towels and ceramics. I love little one of a kind gifts like these for my friends who have every gadget known to man. The tea pot, a towel, and some of the One Green Tea is the top contender for my sister-in-law.


Love these little origami bookmarks, handmade of course, for sticking stuffers or inside a nice cookbook for a friend. Not pictured here is a great cookbook at Buchanan's with small plates/tapas from different Houston restaurants. I'll use the bookmark in the page featuring Downhouse on Yale.


I don't know who I would give these origami ornaments to, but they were too pretty to leave out. Maybe you want to give one to a friend?

1025 Studewood
713-864-3556

Every summer when my niece comes to stay for a week, we go to Hello, Lucky to get her some back to school goodies. She loves this store and her friends in Austin covet everything she gets there. I find teenagers incredibly hard to buy for, so I was happy to have her walk through and point out some of the stuff she liked!

Hello, Lucky has great jewelry. Much of it is made from other stuff, like the leatherette earrings in the bottom left of the photo. Upcycled, eco-conscious, artist made. Love it!


These great armadillo Texas tshirts are heading to my little niece and nephew in Massachusetts. 
My kids already have the "I'm from Texas y'all" shirts.


Niece also loved the fabric cuff bracelets Teresa makes. I'm pretty sure she'll be getting one.


We both also love these "you are amazing" pendants. A possibility for my own sister, who has had some struggles in the past few years. I love the sweet, positive message.

The Funny Potter
1024 Studewood

This paint your own pottery studio doesn't charge a studio fee. You only pay for the piece you paint, and they have probably 1000 to choose from. I'm going to get gift certificates for my sons' best buddies. Right now they are also having a special on ornaments. What grandparent doesn't want a hand painted ornament? My mom will cherish them!


833 Studewood
(713) 861-0301


"I trike the Heights." Nuff said.


One of my best friends in Austin just had a baby girl. I think she needs one of these in her crib!


Again, I don't have anyone to give these to (well, maybe baby Violet in Austin...) but these are great dishes for kids and I know a lot of other parents are often looking for these things. Love the sectioned tray with cover!

OoLaLa
833 Studewood
(713) 862-9800

I might have to wear a mistletoe headband to Lights In The Heights!


Beautiful jewelry by Heights resident Dorie Kerr. She has so many beautiful pieces to pick from and I have so many wonderful girlfriends to buy for!


Insulated lunch sacks. These are on the "have on hand for someone I forgot" list.


Fun stocking stuffers for my brother and also for the 2 Secret Santa exchanges I am participating in.

238 W. 19th Street, Suite A-2
In the Corridor Shops



Pendants from Gami Works. I 1st found Gami Works doing a search for Heights Etsy sellers. In addition to these cute pendants, she also has earrings and cute magnetic canisters. I like the canisters for teacher gifts or babysitter gifts.


I don't have anyone to give one to, but I think these "Houston, TX Home" prints would be a great gift for a native who has moved away for work, school or something else.


Great earrings for my 6 year old niece. Small and girlie. She'll love them!


Hand sewn zipper wallets, coin purses, cosmetic bags. Another great option for the babysitter.

Bespoke by GJCD
238 W 19th

Again with the things that I don't know who I would give them to but they are still some of my favorites. Bespoke has awesome vintage glasses and bar supplies. I would buy them all if I had room and could afford it.



235 W 19th

Last year I gave away probably a dozen boxes of this Wine-A-Rita mix. I'll keep a few on hand for that  "someone I forgot" list again.


Every year I buy a new ornament for our tree. A favorite is a giant snowman I got at Bliss 3 years ago. This year I have my eyes on these Christmas astronauts.


I gave one of these for Secret Santa last year. I don't know if I'll do the same this year but it's high on the list of things that I'll consider. It's like a wickless candle- scented wax that freshens the room but is very light and subtle.

321 A W. 19th St.
(713) 869-5885


I love this cookie jar so much! I am going to buy it for a gift exchange party we go to every year and hope that I can bring it home. Is that bad?


There was also a ton of fun holiday stuff for stockings, teachers, and all those other people you like to give just a little something to.

365 W 19th
713-868-LIFT (713-868-5438)


Books, books, books. I get my sons and all kids under 12 who I shop for at least one book.


Rhonda recommended this beautifully illustrated book, The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr Morris Lessmore.


I also love, love, love this canvas gift bag with four "To/From" spaces so you can pass it along and see where it's been before. Probably not a good bet for random acqaintances but I have some friends and family who will like it as much as I do.


Little wind up toys. I have 2 sons. Yes to these!

So there you have it. A sneak peek at what's out there. There is all this and so much more at our Heights retailers. Have a happy, local holiday season!

9 comments:

  1. Carve Skateshop should defiantely have made this list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a LOT of great stores in the Heights. This list isn't the be-all, end-all. It's just a starting point. Shop on!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this list. I'm going through now, and checking it twice for all the gift giving I have to do!! Thank you for doing my pre-shopping.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for shopping local, Pam! This was just a small sample of all the awesome that I saw!

      Delete
  3. Cute stuff! Thanks for a preview :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could also consider gift certificates to some of the cool services and classes around The Heights as well. I'll shamelessly plug my parent-child music classes at crescendo family music for kids ages 0-5 (with an adult). We're a new small business in The Heights as of May this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Viula,
    Thank you so much for the shout-out about my photography at One Green Street. We actually first heard about One Green Street from your blog and I am honored to be mentioned here.

    Happy Heights holiday shopping!

    Kind Regards,
    Adam Oblath

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you see any tree skirts anywhere? I tried Another Place in Time and C&D today. Bought lots of good stuff, but still need a tree skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara, I would try Jubilee. I found a really cheap one at Arne's. Literally less than $2 because one of my cats will inevitably pee on it, so that's a good price range for me. ;)

      Delete