Thursday, May 31, 8 pm: Opening night of “And I Feel Fine...” at Obsidian Art Space
- Obsidian is so happy to present another showcase from Big Head Productions
- “What do a bare stage, snowmen, EMT's, 666, apples, infidelity, complicated coffee, street people, conversations with God, Doritos, and picnics have in common? Come see this showcase to find out.”
- "And I Feel Fine..." is a series of shorts with an end of the world theme. The company received over 100 submissions from playwrights all over the country and selected 11 pieces by 10 authors to present to you. Join Big Head Productions as they explore the apocalypse from 10 viewpoints.
- Click here to buy tickets now. They're only $10!
- Runs through June 16
- 3522 White Oak
Thursday, May 31, 7:30pm- 11:30 pm: Corkaoke at The Corkscrew
- Wine, karaoke and some fish tacos that they like to brag an awful lot about!
- 1308 W 20th
Friday, June 1, 7:30 pm: Heights Live! presents Steve Young and Jubal Lee Young
- Great description/all you need to know about the history of this father and son on Heights Live’s Facebook event page
- 240 W 18th, on the ground of Heights Presbyterian church
Saturday, June 2, 7 am: Heights Fun Run
- You can register day of at Marmion Park.
- For more details, visit the HHA race page here
- PLEASE DRIVE EXTRA CAREFULLY SATURDAY MORNING! There will be lots of folks on foot!
Saturday June 2, 10 am: Butterflies 101 at Buchanan’s Native Plants
- Linda Reid is returning to the nursery for a special engagement. Join her for "Butterflies 101" where Linda will discuss butterflies of Houston and how to attract them to your garden.
- It “won't be the usual ‘gardening for butterflies’ fare” as she plans to discuss native and adapted plants and the natural cycle of predatory insects for balance. Sounds interesting!
- 611 E 11th
Saturday, June 2, 6 pm- 9 pm: BrassTacks exhibit opening at G Gallery
- BrassTacks features an eclectic group of artists working in diverse disciplines who were selected for the exhibition “using a methodology not unlike a game of Duck, Duck, Goose. The initial idea was to establish a visual dialogue among three core artists from San Antonio. In turn, each of the core artists selected another artist for inclusion in the show and those artists selected yet another three artists to participate. Unfolding in an organic and expansive way, the resulting exhibition, rather than being dictated by a specific thematic direction, points more to the essential connections that these artists have with one another and the creative affinities each of them possess.” Sounds interesting, no?
- Featured artists include: Tommy Gregory, Megan Harrison, Rachel Ziegler, Justin Parr, Eric Taylor, Shiri Mordechay, Joseph Duarte, Clay McClure, and Willie Sanchez
- 301 E 11th St
Saturday, June 2, 6 pm- 10 pm: First Saturday Arts Market starts "Art After Dark" evening shows
- Featured artist is Lauren Luna, whose work for the show is all about the shoes
- Vintner's own will be on hand with some vino offerings, as well
- 548 W. 19th Street @ Lawrence
OUTSIDE THE HEIGHTS:
Friday, June 1, 11 am- 2 pm: Planning Design Research building tour - Certified Green Building
- The Office of Planning Design Research, 2 Houston Center, 909 Fannin Street, Level 39
- "Open House Style" guided tour approximately every 30 minutes
- Free and open to the public
- Certified by the U.S. Green Building Council in 2012, LEED for Commercial Interiors - Platinum level
- Visit www.houstontx.gov/mayor/leedtour.pdf for more details and a map. For questions contact Steve Stelzer at 832.394.9050 or email email@example.com.
- For more information on City of Houston sustainability efforts, visit www.greenhoustontx.gov
IN OTHER NEWS:
Please read this very interesting Houston Press Houston 101 blog entry about Will Hogg, who basically created the wonderful slice of the Heights which I call home.