Monday, February 8, 2010

Sunday Brunch at Dry Creek



I've been hearing good things about the breakfast at Dry Creek for a while now, but I haven't had a chance to make it over there until this weekend.

Usually, I'm willing to make the trek to Montrose for my cheap-n-tasty breakfast favorites: Baby Barnaby's or Christy's Donuts. (Sometimes we hit up both restaurants on the same morning if we anticipate a really long line at Baby Barnaby's and stop by Christy's to pick up a small appetizer...)

However, I would prefer to stay local, so I've been eager to try the breakfast at Dry Creek. I'm happy to report that the experience did not disappoint.

Due to yet another sickness this year (maybe because I'm exposed to the germs of 22 kids in my classroom every day?), I went to bed pretty early on Saturday night. That meant my husband and I were up early for breakfast on Sunday. When we arrived at Dry Creek, it was so empty we were afraid it might not be open yet. Apparently, however, they open at 7am for breakfast every day of the week. We were just ahead of the sleeping-in crowd.

We helped ourselves to a seat in the quaint, indoor portion of the restaurant and were immediately greeted by a welcoming and calm server. Although the breakfast choices are not as varied or exotic as the choices at Baby Barnaby's (I love the eggs with spinach and artichokes!), I easily found something that looked good: Big Mama's Breakfast.

I'm the kind of person who has difficulty choosing between egg options and dough options (you know: pancakes, waffles, etc.). That's why the Big Mama was the perfect compromise. I got three scrambled eggs, potatoes, a waffle, and a side of fruit (which they happily gave me in place of the meat option).

The meal was definitely deserving of the moniker "Big." I had plenty of food and some left over to share with my appreciative husband. The potatoes were just like the yummy ones they serve at Baby Barnaby's: crunchy and tasty. The three eggs were a generous portion, and the waffle was cooked to fluffy perfection. The fruit was a good mix of pineapple (not the canned stuff), strawberries, blackberries, and cantaloupe. They didn't even use honey dew as a filler!

All of that for $8.

My husband was equally pleased with Joe's Huevos: scrambled eggs, pico, avocado, sour cream, and refried beans for $8. He added a serving of three tortillas for a dollar.

Other option include a variety of omelets, crab cakes and eggs, migas, lox plate, sweet and country granola, etc. Breakfast is served on Saturday and Sunday from 7am-12pm and on weekdays (with a different menu) from 7:00-10:30am.

With the relaxed atmosphere, generous portions, inexpensive price tag, nearby location, and friendly wait staff, Dry Creek is definitely a great option for a weekend brunch.

What about you, Heights Lifers? Have you tried the breakfast at Dry Creek? What was your experience like?

4 comments:

  1. I like the breakfast at Dry Creek and usually find myself there when we have out of town guests. My neighbor and I have our weekly breakfast taco fix at Teotihuacan (the pink place) on Airline. You can't beat the quality and price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby and I walk over there once a month or so and are never disappointed (except for the time we overslept, arrived there and found out we missed breakfast - it ends at 10:30 if you were wondering exactly how lazy we were that day!)

    Big Mamma's Breakfast is always my pick too - good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Dry Creek has the best waffles in Houston. My husband tried to get them to reveal the ingredients, but they wouldn't tell. There is something special in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Dry Creek and usually have they Egg Sammich when on the go.

    ReplyDelete