Saturday, Oct. 3, 11 am- 6pm: The First Saturday Arts Market returns to daytime hours
- Houston's only monthly outdoor fine arts event, the Market will be open on the first Saturdays of each month through May from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the parking lot of Wind Water Gallery in the Heights.
- First Saturday Arts Market features local and regional artists whose offerings include original paintings, photography, jewelry, sculpture, wood and metal arts, ceramics and fiber arts.
- And, if you mix in a little character from area farmers markets, throw in an ice cream truck on steroids, the best local talent up front entertaining -- all under dozens of white canopied tents -- visitors will find themselves in the middle of a mini arts festival in full swing.
- Kenneth Scott, Houston's soul-rocker, will be the featured performer in October. Scott considers himself as much of a spiritual activist as a songwriter & performer.
Saturday, October 3, 7:00PM: Samadhi Yoga & Dance Studios Studio Celebration
- Samadhi Studios has now been open for 7 months and now its time to Celebrate.
- They are hosting a Studio get-together for you to come meet your fellow yogis and instructors, make new friends and say congrats to our Samadhi Studios owner and founder Turkan Aydogmus for creating such a welcoming Yoga and Dance community.
- There will be performances and surprises. Drinks and snacks will be provided.
- 07.00 PM Welcome Guests; 07.30 PM Belly Dancer Performance; 08.00 PM Capoeira Performance; 08.30 PM Yoga Demo; 09.00 PM Price Drawing; 09.30 PM Belly Dancer 10.00 PM Live Music
- On going activities: Bliss Organization will provide a spiritual healer that will be present the most of the evening. Tarot card readings.
- 217 E 28th Street. Phone: 832 295 0099 RSVP to Claudia Da Silva <firstname.lastname@example.org>
OUTSIDE THE HEIGHTS:
Saturday, October 3: CITY OF HOUSTON SOLAR TOUR
- The Houston Solar Tour features local residences and commercial buildings with solar and other renewable energy systems.
- The main purpose of the tour is to raise awareness, and provide an opportunity for the public to see working systems in place. Get a firsthand look at Real Solutions for Real People. With their solar arrays, the City's George R. Brown Convention Center is the second stop and The Green Building Resource Center is the third stop on the Tour!
- Pre-Start Solar Social at Discovery Green Park 9 a.m. - 11 a.m.
- Self-Guided Solar Tours of the Greater Houston Area from 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday, October 3, 11 AM - 4 PM: 8th annual B.I.R.T.H. Fair
- The fair is a family-friendly, free event at the United Way Center on Waugh Dr. Come and learn about cloth-diapering, babywearing, meet doulas and lactation consultants and enjoy the Fashion Show.
- Samples from local, naturally-minded vendors.
- For more information, call 832-344-6060 or visit http://www.houbirth.org/
Saturday, October 3, 6 - 9 PM: 5th Annual Winter Street Studios Artists' Exhibition
- Since 2005 Winter Street Studios has been and continues to be one of the most exciting workspaces for Houston’s creative community. An old furniture factory scheduled for demolition has become the home of 75 art studios for over 87 local artists.
- Join Winter Street's wonderful artists for a special opening reception. Guests will have the opportunity to view art, talk with the artists and learn about technique, inspiration and processes all while enjoying musical entertainment, refreshments and snacks.
- Gallery Hours: October 2nd-4th 1PM-5PM
October 8 - December 31, 2009: Houston's urban park, Discovery Green, will be home to "Cool Globes: Hot Ideas for a Cooler Planet"
- The public art exhibit being presented by Reliant Energy in partnership with the City of Houston will feature 50 supersized Cool Globes that each convey a different message about what ordinary citizens can do to combat global warming. The five-foot diameter, seven-foot-tall globes will be decorated by local, national and international artists.
- 1500 McKinney Street
- For more information http://www.coolglobes.com/
Saturday, October 10, 10 AM - 5 PM: Houston Firefest
- OCTOBER IS FIRE PREVENTION MONTH and FIREFEST is a great opportunity to receive valuable fire and life safety information, meet your local firefighters, witness live fire and rescue demonstrations, see antique cars and fire trucks, shop, eat, hear music and experience the Kid's Zone.
- Houston Fire Department's Val Jahnke Training Facility at 8030 Braniff just south of Hobby Airport. All proceeds go toward the education and outreach programs of the Houston Fire Museum.
- Admission is FREE as is the parking/shuttle service at the corner of Monroe and Meldrum.
- For more information on Firefest 2009 http://www.houstonfiremuseum.org/.