As if Heights Holiday Home Tour and Mistletoe Madness aren't enough, here are some other fabulous things to do in and around The Heights this week:
Saturday, December 5, 10am-4pm: The Underground Arts Market
- A place to buy beautiful things: Original Art * Handmade Soaps * Culinary Delights * Unusual Gift Items * and much more!
- 10am-4pm, 802 Rafallen
Saturday, December 5, 12 Noon- 6pm: Craftidote
- This 1st Annual craft market at Antidote Coffee will feature unique handmade crafts by local Houston artists. Craftidote seeks to feature the creations of the rich local artist base in Houston. Artists will be selling handmade t-shirts, ceramics, photos, knitted hats, baked goods, and handbags.
- 729 Studewood St.
- Admission is free.
Saturday, December 5, 6- 8pm: The Ggallery invites you to an early reception for the"Blast India" exhibition
- Please join Ggallery to meet the artists and enjoy early viewing.
- Food generously donated by Anita Jaisinghani,Chef and Proprietor of Indika Restaurant
- Show runs from December 5, 2009 thru December 28, 2009
- 301 East 11th Street
- Want more information? Contact Wayne Gilbert 713-822-4842
Saturday, Dec. 5, 7pm and Sunday, Dec. 6, 11 am: The 19th annual St. Mark’s United Methodist Church Christmas Pageant
- The event features beautiful Christmas music, hand bells, a narrated presentation of the Christmas story with live animals and neighborhood children as little angels and shepherds.
- This is a free event for the community. Church volunteers provide cookies, cider, hot chocolate and water. The performance and refreshments are free. Donations are gratefully accepted. The program lasts about an hour – this includes caroling.
- Chairs are set up on the lawn. Spectators are welcome to bring blankets (to sit on or to stay warm) and/or folding chairs.
- Please join us for this wonderful, moving Christmas celebration outdoors on the church lawn at 600 Pecore.
- Nick's Plumbing & Sewer Services is excited to announce that they are a drop site, collecting toys for MD Anderson's Children's Cancer Hospital.
- Nick's is asking you to get involved in the giving spirit! From now until December 17th they will be collecting toys at their office location: 1420 N. Durham.
- Toys must be brand new, unopened and factory sealed.
- These kids are fighting everyday to stay strong and focused while receiving their treatments. Some of these kids are far from home and have very little to no family here while at the hospital. These families have stretched their finances to the limits in getting their children the best medical care possible. Let's help make their Holiday a Happy One..even the smallest of toys can help!
December 7 - 11: 7th ANNUAL HOLIDAY CURBSIDE FOOD DRIVE TO BENEFIT FAMILIES IN NEED
- The City of Houston Solid Waste Management Department (SWMD) and the City Wide Club are co-sponsoring the 7th Annual Trash and Treasure Curbside Food Drive to benefit the 31st Annual Christmas Eve Big Feast held at the George R. Brown Convention Center, 1001 Avenida de las Americas, on December 24.
- By placing canned goods, non-perishable food items or toys in a grocery bag at the curb on your SWMD garbage collection day during the week of Houstonians will help contribute to needy Houston families.
OUTSIDE THE HEIGHTS:
TONIGHT! Wednesday, Dec 2, 7 pm: The TUTS Sing-A-Long screening of The Sound Of Music at the Angelika Film Center
- Fox was able to obtain one of the few remaining 35mm prints of this family classic! Join us for this wonderful sing-a-long event!
- With interactive prop bags and costumes encouraged, viewers will have confetti party-poppers for the climactic first kiss between Maria and Captain von Trapp and a souvenir invitation to the Captain's Ball, among other fun and interactive items.
Friday, December 4, 6-7:30pm: The City of Houston and KHOU-TV present The Annual Mayor's Holiday Celebration
- The show will be on the upper plaza at City Hall, 901 Bagby
- The Mayor's Holiday Celebration is a long-standing tradition with music, festivities, fireworks and the lighting of the official holiday tree. Reliant Energy is returning as the Official Tree Sponsor and Reliant is responsible for supplying an energy-efficient tree by using LED (light emitting diode) lights.
- The event is free and open to the public. Come watch our famous skyline come to life with music, lights and fireworks!